Page 1 of 1
Use a subset of MISRA Rules
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:01 am
Can I use only a subset of the MISRA C:2012 Guidelines for my project?
Re: Use a subset of MISRA Rules
Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:17 am
The use of a MISRA C:2012 subset will depend on whether the project wishes to make claim of MISRA compliance.
- MISRA compliance will not be claimed
The project may choose a subset, but should consider the category of the guideline.
- MISRA compliance will be claimed
The project must follow the requirements specified for the category of the guideline. This is discussed below.
Section 6 of the MISRA C:2012 Guidelines explains the difference between Mandatory, Required and Advisory categories.
All guidelines should be applied by the project, but there are differences in how violations of the guidelines may be handled.
A short summary is that:
- Mandatory Guidelines: Violations are never permitted
- Required Guidelines: Violations are not permitted unless supported by a formal deviation
- Advisory Guidelines: These are recommendations which should be followed as far as practical. Violations are identified, but the project may decide how to handle them. They may be "disapplied" if MISRA Compliance:2016 is adopted.
MISRA published a document in April 2016, which includes a more detailed discussion of this topic.
"MISRA Compliance:2016 Achieving compliance with MISRA Coding Guidelines"
The document can be found by clicking on the above link or by looking either in the "Resources" section of the Bulletin Board or the Publications section of the MISRA web site.